Filed under: Uncategorized
Do you define your life by your 8 to 5 job that brings in some coin of the realm? Or something deeper?
I got an e-mail from an old friend the other day in which he told me everything developing in his career. I wrote back and asked what was going on in his life. His response?
“I just told you everything that’s going on.”
Nothing about his wife, his kids, his hobbies, a book he’d read that inspired him, a conversation with a friend that made him laugh or weep.
What about you? You’re at a party, you meet someone new and they ask, “What do you do?” How do you respond? Do you tell them about your job, or do you tell them what stirs your heart?
Do you know what makes you come alive these days? Some people don’t know. They’re starved their heart into such a catatonic state that their biggest aspiration is to catch a good flick or play eighteen holes of golf on Saturdays mornings. Their dreams have melted into the sand and been washed out to sea.
What I would answer if someone asked me what I do:
- I water-ski like a madman
- I dirt bike with my boys into back country over our heads
- I take long walks with my wife and talk about what we’ll do when the boys are gone
- I write novels that I hope set people free
- I meet with my men’s group to pray and laugh and cry together
- I play guitar with a bit of ability and a lot of passion
Enough about me. Let’s talk about your life.
What do you do?
10 Comments so far
Leave a comment